Tuesday 12 January 2016

Live update! Survival training: Day 2

Up at 6:30, not really eager to leave.
Waiting in the cafe for the next part!

I have just been briefed on how to survive  walking on a glacier. There are many ways to die! 
The problem when you fall down a crevice is your head! Turns out as you fall down your head gets wedged in between two walls of ice, not pleasant. We're taking a break currently, but next we are going to see the rescue equipment and practice saving people who have fallen into a glacier  



We were taken into a room called logistics. It is essentially an enormous warehouse filled with equipment for rescues in the Arctic. The box on the left contains all the gear needed for a glacier rescue, assuming someone (me in this case :p) has fallen down a crevice. The scenario was played out on some cargo containers; the 'victims' stand at the bottom of the container while the team set up the pulley system. The rescuers send down the 'rescue pants' that I had to be pulled up by... it was not a pleasant experience  for my tender zone.

I didn't have my good camera with me so there are only grainy pictures.
Setting up the pulley system

Rescue box has been opened!

Our team was the fastest saving the victim!
It wasn't all painful though. We were able to see some sunlight behind the mountain.
This photo was taken at 11:30


Not a big fan of the blogger app, so I won't be live updating any more.

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment